On November 1st, 2009, the first 25 trees in the Luthergarten were adopted. Bishop Jan Janssen (pictured) planted a field maple tree on behalf of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Oldenburg, Germany.
On April 16th, 2011, Bishop Jan Janssen (right, next to the tree) planted another partner tree for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Oldenburg, Germany, at the congregation of Esenshamm. Together with the Luther trees already planted at the congregations of Garrel, Goldenstedt, Neuenburg, Neuende, Sengwarden, Stuhr, and Wiefelstede, the tree illustrates the unity, connection, and reconciliation of the churches worldwide. Bishop Janssen noted the connection between Wittenberg and Esenshamm, where Christians gathered under the tower of St. Matthew’s Church near the bank of the Weser river in 1520 were the first in the region of Oldenburger Land to hear an evangelical sermon in the spirit of the Martin Luther’s Reformation.